Sunday 26 October 2014

My Top Skincare Products



Greetings, Darklings! My favourite season is approaching. As if you couldn’t already tell by how pale I am. I’m a complete hermit, I admit it. It's insane how near it is to 2015!
It always starts off slow and then before we know it the year’s almost over which is a shame because I absolutely love the typical Scottish weather more than anything else which is when people look at me as if I've just committed mass murder. There’s something ever-so-heart-warming about the wintery months. It’s as if I evolve into a more optimistic person; I want to see the world for what it is, I want to wrap up in about twenty layers and adventure in a forest in the midst of nowhere, I want to drink hot chocolate to warm me up every minute of the day and I will quite happily sit by the fire reading Bukowski and catching up with Breaking Bad any day of the week. But, of course, that’s not to everyone’s acquired taste. However, during the frosty months, it’s important to stay moisturised to prevent your skin from getting dry but not everyone wants to spend a large quantity of money on beauty products as they might not even work – what a waste! Today, I thought I’d share some of the items that have been beneficial for me and hopefully, they’ll work in your favour too! 

MY TOP FIVE SKINCARE PRODUCTS:
1. Garnier Pure Active Intensive Anti-Spot 24H Moisturiser - I've been using this product for over a year now and so far, I've not been disappointed with it. It does the job very efficiently for an affordable price of £4.99! I picked it up on a whim one day when I was in town. I'm not going to lie, I was drawn to the packaging. It’s very simplistic but the teal shade is my favourite colour. I'm like a kid, eh? It wasn't long before this product made its way into my wee nightly cleansing routine. Basically, you're supposed to apply it all over your face after cleansing every morning and/or evening. I find that a little goes a long way thus a 50ml bottle can last quite a while depending on how many pumps you use per day. Although I don't suffer from acne, I'm prone to the odd spot or two which is undoubtedly the bane of every young individual’s life. The joys of being a teenager! This product contains Salicylic acid which helps remove excess facial oils and instead, purifies the skin - it smells of cucumber but it's not an unpleasant scent. It’s quite refreshing, actually. The product itself improves skin texture and clarifies your skin tone. I've used moisturisers in the past which have been a little too greasy for my liking but I haven't encountered that issue with this product. I could probably go as far to say that it's improved my skin as it is very hydrating especially during the winter which is ideal! The Salicylic acid acts as a barrier which means that the cream helps to prevent spots before they're even visible! Personally, I'd give this product 4.5/5 as I've found it to work at its prime when incorporating it with other products from Garnier’s Pure Active range. 
2. Clearasil: Ultra Rapid Action Treatment Cream - This is also a prominent spot treatment which I've found works an absolute treat. Bare in mind that it costs £6.39 which is a little more expensive since it only contains 25ml but it's true what they say, you get what you pay for. I've been using this treatment for around two years and I'm only just on to my second tube which is superb but it depends on how frequently you get zits. Like normal, you wash your face and apply a thin layer directly onto the spots and allow the gel to dry. By using this product on a daily basis in the mornings and evenings, the results will be more visible. The ingredient works with your skin to open up blocked pores (blocked pores lead to spots and breakouts). How, delightful! I can honestly say that I've never been disappointed with any of Clearasil's products. However, I'd be a little more realistic when it comes to the four hour scenario as it isn't always the case depending on your skin type but if you regularly apply it to the infected area, you will see a significant amount of difference. The redness will die down, a lot. I can vouch for that! I like to put it on when I'm going to bed and allow it to do its thing overnight. Spot creams cause a lot of controversy as there's a never-ending debate as to whether it does the job properly or not but like everything else, people's experiences will differ. I'd give this product 5/5. If you're looking for a spot treatment, I'd recommend trying this product out for yourself. You never know, you might be completely surprised with the end results. It was a miracle worker!

3. Marks & Spencer: Softening Hand and Body Cream - This is a bit of an unusual one for me. I received this product in a gift set for my birthday and I only recently got around to using it because I feel that it's a good necessity to have when it’s chilly. It's very hydrating and smells amazing! I had a look on the website and I couldn't find a replica  as the set came with a few other bits and bobs. They don't seem to sell this gift set anymore but I find that every time you go into Marks & Spencer’s you can find an alternative wherever you look, which is what I love about the store! You'd think their prices would be off the rails considering M&S has a ‘posh’ stigma to it but everything is affordable -  even when you're a student! If you’re looking for a similar product, Cocoa Butter and Vanilla Hand and Body Lotion is only £1.00 for a bottle so you can’t go wrong. It’ll definitely keep your skin feeling smooth and it’s cruelty free too! What a bargain!  


4. Lush: Vanishing Cream, Facial Moisturiser - Recently, I've been trying my hardest to replace my make-up collection with cruelty free products thus I took a wee trip to Lush. I know people are crazily obsessed with their health products but personally, I've never understood the hype other than the bath bombs which I've stocked up on, obviously! I’ve been on the hunt for a decent moisturiser for a year or two and I’ve had no luck so far as they haven’t been hydrating enough or they’ve been too greasy on my face which isn’t an appealing look. Naturally, I have a combination of dry/oily skin so I had a chat with one of the workers whom said he had the same issue and suggested this product as he found it to be the most effective. I have to say, I haven’t been disappointed with it so far despite the costly price of £18.75 for a small tub. The prices in Lush are outrageous, I must admit. However, all of the products are natural and cruelty free, it contains; rose water (calms and smooths skin), witch hazel extract (anti-inflammatory and astringent), fair trade shea butter (nourishing and hydrating) and also, lavender honey water (hydrating and soothing). The cream is very light and leaves my skin feeling healthy and smelling divine. It works extremely well as a base/primer before applying make-up but that is completely optional. I’d give it 4/5, it is... very lush indeed but it’s a bit overpriced for the size of the tub.

5. The Body Shop: Shea Sugar Body Scrub - I absolutely adore this exfoliator! If you’re unfamiliar with the terminology, an exfoliator’s job is to remove dead skin cells thus leaving your skin feeling soft and smooth. As I have sensitive skin, I need to be wary of what products I’m using. I originally got this exact product as a gift months ago and it wasn’t until recently, I decided to repurchase it when I ran out as I view it as being an essential part of my skincare routine. However, it’s not a cheap product, it costs £13.00 which I know most people would grudge paying for but I was pleased with the results. I know it works thus I don’t mind paying a little extra as opposed to replacing it with a cheap alternative that would only irritate my skin. I have to say, it’s very moisturising. Not only that but it also stimulates skin microcirculation. Exfoliating is extremely beneficial as the grains scrub away dead skin cells while the oils soften the skin, leaving it smelling lovely regardless of whether you use it on dry or wet skin. This product lasts a while as I only really need to use it two or three times a week. The Body Shop usually has some sort of offer going on around the festive season thus you’ll probably be able to pick this exact item up for a fraction of the cost. I’d give this product 5/5 without a doubt. 

So, those have been my go to products for the past two years. As much as I like experimenting with new products and seeing what works best, I can always rely on these five items when I need them as they stick to their word and do what they say they do. No student wants to spend lots of money on products that have a higher chance of not working properly thus I cannot recommend these items enough! I use a couple of other items in my skincare routine but I wanted to make this applicable to both genders as I know that most of my readers are male. However, if you’d like to see the beauty related side of what I use then just let me know and be more than happy to do that for you. If you have any suggestions on what you’d like to see next week, feel free to leave a comment below.


Have you used any of these products? If so, what did you think of them? Also, what are your favourite skincare products? Let me know, I'd love to hear your feedback! 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment