Saturday 13 December 2014

My November Favourites: Winter Edition!


Greetings, Darklings! It's been a few weeks since I last posted on here thus I apologise for the delay. I couldn't have been more wrong when I said that my hectic work schedule was on the verge of calming down. I dislike not being able to post as frequently as I'd like to. Ideally, I'd love to be able to have a new post up at least three or four times a week. The only problematic error is being able to find the time especially when I'm currently being faced with an abundance of work with deadlines. Today, I wanted to do something a bit different and I felt that by doing a favourites post, this would be a reasonable justification in regards to how generous I've been to myself this month. It was worth a shot, right? This is going to evolve into a very, very long read so grab yourself some snacks, a wee cup of tea and enjoy! 

BEAUTY:

Real Techniques: Core Collection Brushes
I've never been the type of person to apply foundation with a brush due to the fact that I always thought the using-your-hands method was a lot quicker and easier I admit defeat. My friend has been eternally ranting and raving about the Real Techniques brushes for the past few months thus I wanted to try them out for myself and see what the big hype was about especially since I know that they receive a lot of positive feedback within the beauty community. The Core Collection set comes with a professional case, a pointed foundation brush, a buffing brush, a detailer brush and a contour brush. All of the brushes are extremely soft. "IT'S SO FLUFFY!" I feel that the buffing brush has a multi-purpose and works best as a foundation/powder brush due to the fact that it gives you more room to work with and the end result is flawless. So far, I'm impressed! 

M.A.C Studio Fix Foundation
I decided to treat myself to a new foundation since the Revlon PhotoReady foundation I had been using prior was an absolute nightmare. I had a hard time finding an alternative foundation that I was satisfied with as the ones I tried out were either too shiny, not matte enough or provided very light coverage. It got to the point where I stopped wearing foundation altogether - very brave, I know! I had a wee look in House of Fraser with Abbey and Trisha (click their names to check out their fabulous blogs) and found myself browsing the M.A.C store. I think it's safe to say that M.A.C items are every girl's weakness! After speaking to an artist, I was matched with NW10 - the lightest shade, as I predicted! I was given a tester pot to try out and found myself returning two days later to buy the full sized bottle. The formula leaves you with a natural matte finish and provides medium-buildable coverage. It also lasts for up to eight hours, contains SPF 15 and leaves your skin feeling great. Need I say more?

Benefit Fake Up Concealer
Hello there darkness, my old friend. My sleeping pattern is all over the place at the moment thus dark circles are no longer a stranger. This purchase was made on a bit of a whim. My friend and I were in town doing a little shopping and found ourselves at the Benefit counter in Boots. Let's be honest, we all knew it was going to happen! I ended up trying out their Fake Up concealer and I have to say that it does the job a lot more effectively than any other drugstore concealers I've tried in the past. It's enriched with Vitamin E and apple seed extract thus it's not only lightweight but it hides dark circles, diffuses fine lines for a smoother look and keeps your skin hydrated for six hours - what a winner, I definitely can't argue with that! 

M.A.C Diva Lipstick
I mentioned Diva previously in my Season of the Witch post. For the past few months, I've been searching for a vampiresque lip colour that matches my overly pale complexion as opposed to being predictable and sticking to the traditional Russian Red shade that a lot of beauty bloggers craze about. I have a rather extensive collection of intense colours that Morticia Addams herself would love from drugstore brands such as WET N WILD, Revlon, Collection, etc. You've got to keep your options open! If you would be interest in seeing a post about them then leave a comment below. I love the fact that M.A.C lipsticks come in different formulas and have substantial staying power when applied over lip liner. They're a bit on the pricier side in comparison to well-known drugstore brands but for the amount of product you get, they're worth paying that little bit extra for.

FASHION:

Black Dr. Martens 1460
I've always been a bit sceptical about Dr. Martens but I ended up investing in a wee pair of classic Docs to replace my H&M military boots that had seen better days - it was the best decision I've made in a long while. They're by far the most comfortable shoes I own and they've been comfortable since day one. They're very practical especially since I walk for hours around Glasgow several days a week and attend my fair share of metal gigs. As a result, I haven't had any problems with them. I bought a pair of red patent Docs a few months ago but these classic black boots will definitely get as much wear as I can out of them. I originally wanted to buy the 14-eyelet mid-calf boots but they had none in stock at the time so I opted for these. Those ones are on my Christmas wishlist, though! 

Vixxsin Lisa Coat
Okay, so, I decided to buy myself a good quality coat for my birthday back in February. I wanted an all-year-round jacket that would provide the right amount of heat but wouldn't be overly warm to the point where I'm melting. I swear I function like a child, I won't wear something if it's not aesthetically pleasing to my eye - at least - thus I decided to have a look on the Osiris website. I must have scrolled through a few pages before I came across the Vixxsin Lisa Coat and I was automatically drawn to the enthralling corset detail on the back. It's been my go-to jacket for the past few months and a lot of people have complimented it so you can't really go wrong.
Burgundy Slouch Beanie
I've acquired quite the wee collection of beanies over the past few years. I wasn't kidding when I said I could open up my own shop. I mean, you can't really go wrong when it comes to having one too many hats. They're a practical accessory to have as they not only keep your head warm in the winter but they're also great for throwing on when you're having a bad hair day. If you're like me, you'll wear them regardless of whether it's raining, sunny or snowing outside and when you have a wide range of colours to choose from, you can pretty much face whatever the weather throws at you! 

MISCELLANEOUS:

DRINKS:
Beechams Cold & Flu Sachets
I end up catching the cold every year without fail regardless of how many additional layers I wear. It's not really much of a surprise considering I live in a country where the weather's more confusing than the female brain. Recently, my cold has been getting progressively worse as opposed to clearing up and all of the cough remedies I've tried haven't been helping, at all. It's gotten to the point where my voice is almost non-existent thus my mum - being the wee angel that she is - picked up a few boxes of Raspberry and Hot Lemon and Honey which contain asorbic acid, they’re enriched with Vitamin C. These drinks are ever-so-soothing and provide effective relief ASAP.

Hot Drinks

I have an undying love for hot drinks all-year-round. If I received an endless supply of hot chocolate and green tea for Christmas, I'd be satisfied for the next few months. When I'm waiting for my friends at the train station in the morning - it's a long wait - I always find myself making my way to the nearest Costa, AMT or Starbucks in search of a hot drink fix to wake me up and keep myself nice and toasty or else I can't function throughout the day. I'm not a big coffee person unless Frappuccinos are brought into the equation - then it’s a different story - but hot drinks play a big part in getting me into a somewhat festive mood - around this time of the year I evolve into one of those Bah, Humbug! type of gals. 

BOOK:
Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
I bought this book at the start of November and kept it in my bag to read on the train every morning as a past-time. I haven’t been able to read a lot lately since I’ve had no time to myself thus I’ve been taking advantage of the little time I have. Lately, I've found myself becoming more infatuated with Bukowski's work and his general outlook on certain topics. I think that's mostly to do with the fact that he was a realist and as controversial as he is amongst society, I like how outspoken he was. I guess that reflects on myself as a person. Yes, he was vulgar and all the other negative connotations that come with it but I have to say that I'm a bit overwhelmed with the emotions I've been faced with so far upon reading this sadistic side of the spectrum. This book in particular took me by surprise and unravelled a whole new side to the 'drunk' and 'crude' man in question.

SONGS:
I created a 'November Playlist' on Spotify as a back-up in case my iPod died when I was on the train. What a nightmare that would be! There are a LOT of songs that I’ve been loving this month thus I'll name a few of my favourites and if you would be interested in seeing the complete playlist then comment below. I love discovering new artists/bands so I would be more than happy to do that. The first song is Angeles by Elliott Smith. My Video/Music Lecturer introduced me to this melancholy-striven man a couple of months ago and I've found myself researching more into his music. Next, we have Frankly, Mr. Shankly by The Smiths. My mum raised me on this wondrous band and since then, I've found myself singing along and becoming more in touch with their music. How very deep of me. The last song I'll mention is Cloud Speed by Sad Souls which is an exquisite and ever-so-calming instrumental song that is perfect for relaxing and essentially, getting lost in the moment.

FILM:
The Fault In Our Stars
I finished reading The Fault In Our Stars before the film was released and upon doing so, I have to say, I had a hard time deciding how I felt about the storyline. This was mostly to do with the fact that the whole thing was based around a fabricated portrayal of a touchy subject thus I decided it would be in my best interests to steer clear from going to see the film. However, last week when EE rewarded their customers with a free film on Wuaki.tv, I finally decided to give it a watch after seeing it in the suggested movie section. Before I knew it, I was another teenager enticed by the pretentious yet ever so endearing act of Augustus Waters. I laughed, I cried. I thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack! To be, or not to be; I fear not. Where art thou Augustus Waters?
So, those have been some of my favourites during the month of November/the beginning of December. I’d rather do a favourites post when I’m satisfied with what I’ve bought as opposed to throwing one together for the sake of it otherwise it’s a bit of a mundane read. If there's anything you would like me to write about or review then feel free to leave a comment below.
What have been some of your favourites? Have you tried out any of the products mentioned? Do you have any recommendations? I'd love to know! 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment